Friday, August 8, 2008

The longest week - 1


Today must be the last day of my longest week. It started on July 29th past 6 after sunset, the day before my travel day for this month. I got my tickets at the last minute and so it was not at all possible to travel the next day which was in the early morning flight. Though I had all the basic things to fly (visa and tickets), like most of the companies have their own policies for the travel service(travel request, approval, deputation, travel insurance, foreign currency) I was pretty sure that I can’t make it happen for the next day knowing about my company through my previous travels. Getting all the above was not a big deal but I was put in to the wrong timings, which was the end of the day and people were about to leave home.

I had only 10 minutes at the maximum to make sure that I am flying the next day with no other option. Called my PM and told my situation; she said let us try your luck. (The higher authority has to approve it and it happens only when they are available at their seats and not in any of their mode of transport to reach their home). Meanwhile we talked with the person who is in charge of the travel systems in our company. He gave a simple and straight reply that, only when I get the approval from the higher official and started shouting that I do this every time :). I know that I was bugging their heads for the last 4 months for my every travel but I didn’t exactly remember when that last moment came. I did not care much for those words but had to say anything now rather had to convince him to make some arrangements. I should tell man… he is so generous. He said, he can stay at office and can do the formalities but only when he gets the approval. PM saw me with a half way smile in her face. We thanked him and immediately called the project director to explain the situation and ask for the approval. Meanwhile I placed the request for approval. He was so keen and after she explained him, he was ready to give the approval. I told myself, “Thanks a lot”. I thought I was going to miss the bus and if I take the public transport, I did not know when I would be reaching reach home, pack and sleep. I can reach Srilanka easily than to go home through public transport. (It is only 1 hour travel to Srilanka in flight :))

Another major thing is I need to get is, the foreign currency for which they will give a letter officially saying the amount for specific country, called deputation letter. I was very much sure there was no point waiting for that letter. However, I got a call from the person who was sitting in office to help me saying that he had told the money exchange guy to come to my home and give the amount and asked me to confirm the same by calling him which means I can go home now and almost everything seems to be fine. I thanked him in words and ran to the lift to catch the bus when I got a call from my bus coordinator to whom I called sometime back and asked to wait for 5 minutes.

Only my bus was waiting and when I got into the bus, people gave me a bad look that I had taken their time to reach home soon which was absolutely acceptable :) ;). I silently went and sat at the back seat with a sudden thought that I did not inform my parents yet about my travel. Again, my father, who always says I am doing everything at the last minute; as if I wants to do that way. I talked to my dad and informed my friends too. I was thinking in the bus whether I have everything for the travel and got in to the mind that need to buy some stuffs which I normally takes with me. Got down from the bus to the place where I could buy those things and reached my home where the exchange guy was waiting for me in front of my house. It was almost late and so soon I finished my work with him and started my packing stuffs. I hardly had some 2 hours before I start from home for the next day when I saw the time after I finished my works.

Got ready early morning to leave home. I slept for maximum half an hour where “the longest week” arose.

No comments: