Friday, August 8, 2008

The longest week – 2

July 30. Reached airport and directly went to the check in counter where I saw a big queue in more than 5 counters, all for the same airlines I had to take. Joined one queue and waited for more than 45 minutes. When I got my turn, I gave my passport, visa and tickets to the lady who was sitting in the counter. She was seeing my visa soft copy and she did not understand anything in that (written in Arabic) and she called a guy and asked to give to someone to check whether it is valid. By hearing her words, I interrupted and explained her I go every month with this visit visa but she asked me wait till that guy come back. (I was not shocked as this is not the first time happening for me when I travel to this country). He came with a guy who asked me for what I am traveling to this country; I explained him but they were not convinced much because of the fact of only woman above the age of 35 can travel to Arab countries. They were right. But this was my 4th trip to Kuwait and people were not ready to listen to me as they stick into their rules which they know. She put the green tag “STANDBY” in my check in bag. It said me that I my day was not finishing there. When I enquired about that, she told after I finish the immigration, my check in bag would be released.

After a big sigh, I moved from that place. Again, a big queue in the immigration. In my turn, I went to the officer, about whom I am not sure whether lady or a guy. I prefer “she” :). She referred my visa and passport and finished her work in 5 minutes after I explain her about my travel. She did not tell anything. But I was not satisfied since my baggage was in standby mode. I explained her about my situation in check in counter and I asked to clear my baggage from check in. she asked me to wait for sometime until her superior comes. I waited near the officers room and I was sitting alone there as a centre of attraction and people were seeing as if I did something wrong and so I was asked to wait. Only by those people I was so embarrassed, otherwise not. I saw some 2 officers sitting and chatting inside the room near to me and the door was open. I was seeing the lady who asked me to wait. I waited for such a long time that no more people were there for immigration. I hardly had some 1 hour for flight. she got up and went somewhere and finally came to the room near to me and called me inside. Same 2 officers were there and they asked “What’s the problem?” I got so irritated that time after explaining to the lady the whole stuff. I relaxed myself and explained again to those people. They said not a problem at all and I can go. I was thinking whether I will get my baggage or not in Kuwait. Finished all my rest of the formalities and waited for sometime for the flight.

Boarded the flight and I was searching for my seat, thinking that should not come in the middle row of seats. I got the left side 2 seater. A middle aged woman was sitting near to me who was a Muslim wearing burka. She was starring at me like anything and i was not at all comfortable sitting there. She was very weird with her eyes. I forgot to take the picture of her when she was sleeping. I got a devil feeling when I saw her (I am not commenting her but I actually was afraid). I was thinking how I will travel for 5 hours like this. I did not see her for sometime but I could feel she was starring at me continuously. She called me and asked for my phone to make a call. I was afraid the way she asked me. After a little thought, I asked her for the number and dialed. The number she told was not valid. She didn’t ask me anything after that. I wanted to sleep because of no sleep last night and also to avoid the vomit sensation I used to get when the take off and landing. When I got back to the world, I was flying above the middle of the sea and that lady was still starring at me. My god. How do you feel when someone keeps on looking at you with a weird look? I was bit afraid to talk to her first, but then I thought she may had some problems and I started a gentle stranger wish but no reply at all. They started to serve food and so she was busy in food for sometime. I closed my eyes for sometime to see the heaven and when I got up, she was sleeping. Yes. She was sleeping but in the same way she was sitting before. Her eyes were half opened and her mouth too. One more thing is, she did not get up once in that 5 hour travel. Strange!

We reached at last. Thanks to the captain. Walked faster to get my luggage first. I could feel she was running fast behind me to cope up my fast. After one hour of waiting time, I got my luggage safe. She was walking here and there and I asked her whether she wants any help. She moved away from me slowly seeing me till she went invisible. I rushed outside to see for a person having my name board. I was so tired that I wanted to sleep for some hours because of no sleep at all; thinking about that lady. The life we live is giving us so many lessons which we never get even if you get a degree in Harvard University which is considered to be the world’s top most universities in the world.

No comments: